Residential Service Contract
Thank you for choosing A BETTER HOME WARRANTY COMPANY (referred to elsewhere as “BHW”) as your home warranty provider. We are a Dallas-Fort Worth company, owned and operated by local residents and experienced mechanical contractors. We are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week to take service calls. Your system or appliance will be repaired to your satisfaction or replaced.
By applying for this service, homeowner warrants that all covered appliances and systems at the above address, are in good working order as of the date of this application. Contracts submitted through real estate transactions with a required home inspection report may be redesignated as Current Owner coverage until the report is produced.
Residential Service Contract
A. CONTRACT COVERAGE
I. YOUR COVERAGE
- A Better Home Warranty Company (“BHW”) will arrange for a Service Contractor to repair or replace the systems covered in accordance with this contract if they (a) are located within the perimeter of the home (except for pool, spa, and HVAC), (b) become inoperative due to normal wear and tear, (c) are in good working order on the effective date of this contract and (d) are properly installed and available for diagnosis. Access to equipment must be in compliance with current codes. Ladder access must not exceed sixteen feet.This contract covers only single-family residential property up to 5,000 sq ft. If the property is over 5,000 sq ft, please purchase additional square footage coverage. Coverage includes only the items stated as covered and is subject to limitations. BHW reserves the right to inspect covered items and to ask for an inspection report.
- Buyer’s coverage begins at close of sale and continues for 13 months after close of sale. Current homeowner coverage begins upon issuance of a contract number and continues for twelve months. During the 30 day waiting period, homeowner is eligible for the HVAC and mechanical maintenance programs. All renewal and current homeowner contracts are for a period of 12 months regardless of whether annual, monthly, quarterly or semi-annual installments are selected. Elapsed contracts will have a thirty day wait period.
- Seller’s coverage for a listed property starts upon issuance of a contract number by ABHW and continues for either 180 days, until close of sale or termination of listing (whichever comes first) and does not cover “for sale by owner” listings. There is no charge for Seller’s Coverage, but the coverage limits are lower, $500.00 per item and $1500.00 total. Service fee is the same as for the buyer’s coverage – $75.00.
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered by this contract. However, for Buyer’s coverage only and for operative systems that become inoperative due to normal wear and tear, there is no denial of coverage (“No Fault” coverage) for: conditions that existed on the effective date of the contract if, at that time, the condition was unknown and would not have been detectable by visual inspection or a simple mechanical test. Undersized, mismatched efficiency or poorly designed systems relative to the square footage are not covered by the “No Fault” coverage.
Under normal circumstances, Basic Coverage repairs will be scheduled in your first telephone call and will be performed by A Better Deal Heating & Air Conditioning, A Better Deal Electric or A Better Deal Plumbing, or A Better Deal Appliance on a same day service basis. Most Basic coverage items will be scheduled for repairs to be performed within eight hours. Non-emergency repairs will be scheduled within 48 hours. Re-Key and Pest service will be scheduled immediately through an independent contractor to be completed within 48 hours. All service requests must be communicated to the telephone number below.
- You must notify BHW for work to be performed under this contract as soon as the problem is discovered and prior to the expiration of this contract. BHW, at its solediscretion, will select an affiliated or unaffiliated Service Contractor and will not reimburse for services performed without prior approval. Evidence of recent attempted repairs by others voids coverage of the claim. Should BHW grant you authorization to contact an independent Service Contractor, BHW will provide reimbursement based on the following conditions:
- selected Service Contractor is qualified and insured,
- you agree to be reimbursed at BHW’s typical rates for parts and labor (less than retail) and
- you call BHW prior to Service Contractor performing any repairs to determine if the repair is a covered item under this contract. BHW does not charge an additional fee for service outside of normal business hours. Service work is guaranteed for 30 days.
- Each trade call is sub