Residential Service Contract
Thank you for choosing A BETTER HOME WARRANTY COMPANY (referred to elsewhere as “BHW”) as your home warranty provider. We are a Dallas-Fort Worth company, owned and operated by local residents and experienced mechanical contractors. We are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week to take service calls. Your system or appliance will be repaired to your satisfaction or replaced.
By applying for this service, homeowner warrants that all covered appliances and systems at the above address, are in good working order as of the date of this application. Contracts submitted through real estate transactions with a required home inspection report may be redesignated as Current Owner coverage until the report is produced.
Residential Service Contract
A. CONTRACT COVERAGE
I. YOUR COVERAGE
- A Better Home Warranty Company (“BHW”) will arrange for a Service Contractor to repair or replace the systems covered in accordance with this contract if they (a) are located within the perimeter of the home (except for pool, spa, and HVAC), (b) become inoperative due to normal wear and tear, (c) are in good working order on the effective date of this contract and (d) are properly installed and available for diagnosis. Access to equipment must be in compliance with current codes. Ladder access must not exceed sixteen feet.This contract covers only single-family residential property up to 5,000 sq ft. If the property is over 5,000 sq ft, please purchase additional square footage coverage. Coverage includes only the items stated as covered and is subject to limitations. BHW reserves the right to inspect covered items and to ask for an inspection report.
- Buyer’s coverage begins at close of sale and continues for 13 months after close of sale. Current homeowner coverage begins upon issuance of a contract number and continues for twelve months. During the 30 day waiting period, homeowner is eligible for the HVAC and mechanical maintenance programs. All renewal and current homeowner contracts are for a period of 12 months regardless of whether annual, monthly, quarterly or semi-annual installments are selected. Elapsed contracts will have a thirty day wait period.
- Seller’s coverage for a listed property starts upon issuance of a contract number by ABHW and continues for either 180 days, until close of sale or termination of listing (whichever comes first) and does not cover “for sale by owner” listings. There is no charge for Seller’s Coverage, but the coverage limits are lower, $500.00 per item and $1500.00 total. Service fee is the same as for the buyer’s coverage – $75.00.
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered by this contract. However, for Buyer’s coverage only and for operative systems that become inoperative due to normal wear and tear, there is no denial of coverage (“No Fault” coverage) for: conditions that existed on the effective date of the contract if, at that time, the condition was unknown and would not have been detectable by visual inspection or a simple mechanical test. Undersized, mismatched efficiency or poorly designed systems relative to the square footage are not covered by the “No Fault” coverage.
Under normal circumstances, Basic Coverage repairs will be scheduled in your first telephone call and will be performed by A Better Deal Heating & Air Conditioning, A Better Deal Electric or A Better Deal Plumbing, or A Better Deal Appliance on a same day service basis. Most Basic coverage items will be scheduled for repairs to be performed within eight hours. Non-emergency repairs will be scheduled within 48 hours. Re-Key and Pest service will be scheduled immediately through an independent contractor to be completed within 48 hours. All service requests must be communicated to the telephone number below.
- You must notify BHW for work to be performed under this contract as soon as the problem is discovered and prior to the expiration of this contract. BHW, at its solediscretion, will select an affiliated or unaffiliated Service Contractor and will not reimburse for services performed without prior approval. Evidence of recent attempted repairs by others voids coverage of the claim. Should BHW grant you authorization to contact an independent Service Contractor, BHW will provide reimbursement based on the following conditions:
- selected Service Contractor is qualified and insured,
- you agree to be reimbursed at BHW’s typical rates for parts and labor (less than retail) and
- you call BHW prior to Service Contractor performing any repairs to determine if the repair is a covered item under this contract. BHW does not charge an additional fee for service outside of normal business hours. Service work is guaranteed for 30 days.
- Each trade call is subject to a $75 service fee. The trade call fee for Seller’s contracts is $75. The trade call fee for pests and rodents is $75. The trade call fee for a termite inspection is $75.The trade call fee for re-keying service is $75. Additionally, termite treatment for each affected area is $125 in addition to inspection. Failure to pay the trade call fee at the time of the visit will result in suspension of coverage until the proper fee is paid without extension of the contract period. If typical gasoline prices in the service area exceed $3.50 per gallon, BHW may temporarily increase trade call fees by $10 until prices fall below $3.50 per gallon. Additional charges may apply to certain repairs and replacements (See Section E.).
C. COVERED SYSTEMS AND APPLIANCES
The following items are covered under this contract
- CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING, HEATING & DUCTWORK TUNE-UP: Seasonal tune-up visit performed.Each system is considered a separate service call.
- COVERED: Components and parts that affect operation for gas or electric heater, heat pump, electric central air conditioning condenser, evaporative coil, air handler, evaporative cooler (pump, casing, motor, belts, pulleys and float-assembly only), leaks in accessible refrigerant lines and ductwork from the cooling unit to the connection at register or grill. If necessary to effect a covered repair or replacement, we will upgrade covered equipment as required by federal 13 SEER and R410a equipment regulatory standards.
- NOT COVERED: Gas A/C systems–Condenser casings–Registers, zone/damper systems, grills or filters – Electronic air cleaners – Window units – Non-ducted wall units – Freon recapture/pump down – Water towers – Humidifiers – Roof jacks or stands – Flues – Vents – Chillers – Noises – Systems that are connected to another system – Systems with three phase power- variable speed blowers– Baseboard casings – Fuel storage tanks – Portable units – Solar systems – Oil heating units – Chimneys, fireplaces and key valves – Clocks – Timers – Heat lamps – Hot water/steam heat circulating systems – Geothermal and/or water source heat pumps – Collapsed ductwork-equipment or materials under a manufacturer’s recall, Asbestos-insulated ductwork– Improperly sized, poorly maintained, designed, or mismatched efficiency systems. Testing or locating leaks in A/C or ductwork -plenums, transitions and drain pans. While covered, 90% efficiency and higher furnaces or 14 SEER and higher A/C equipment will be replaced with similar SEER and efficiency equipment. (See also Section E.)
- PLUMBING SYSTEM, STOPPAGES & WATER HEATER
- COVERED: Leaks and breaks of water, drain, gas, waste or vent lines – Toilets – Valves for shower, tub, diverter, angle stops, risers and gate valves – Clearing of stoppages in drain lines with a standard sewer cable from an existing non-roof access point without excavation – Water heater (gas or electric)
- NOT COVERED: Damage or blockage caused by freezing or roots, foreign objects or damaged drain, vent or sewer lines– Fixtures including faucets, bathtub, pop-up assemblies, shower head/arm, sink, toilet lids/seats – Sprinkler or solar systems – Shower enclosures and base pans – Breaks or cracks in toilet bowl or tank – Removal of toilet – Caulking or grouting – Septic tanks – Water softeners, filters or purifiers – Dryer vents – Pressure regulators – Permanently installed sump pumps – Inadequate or excessive water pressure – Flow restrictions in water lines – leak location, access, or sealing access. Sewage ejector pumps – Holding or storage tanks – Saunas or steam rooms – Hose bibs – Whirlpool jets, motor and pump assemblies – Any associated masonry work – Roof access cleanout – Stoppages outside the main foundation of the home– Grinder pumps – Costs to locate, access or install a ground level cleanout – Solar water heaters – Storage tanks – Tankless water heaters– Noise – Flues and vents – Water heaters over 50 gallons – Insufficient capacity – Odor – Drip pans (See also Section E.) Conditional coverage: Repairs requiring R22 refrigerant after January 2015 will be subject to a charge for adaptation to a new approved refrigerant.
- ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
- COVERED: Components and parts that affect operation including built-in bath exhaust fans.
- NOT COVERED: Fixtures and any components – Doorbells, alarms or intercoms – Central vacuum systems – Attic fans – Inadequate wiring capacity – Breaker panel – D.C. wiring or components – Septic system electrical equipment – Low voltage lighting – Computer, phone, cable, or multi-media wiring – Improper wiring under the foundation, deck or ground-access in walls or slabs (See also Section E.)
- KITCHEN APPLIANCES & GARAGE DOOR OPENER
- COVERED: Components and parts that affect operation of: Oven–Range/Cook top– Dishwasher – Garbage Disposal – Trash Compactor – Garage Door Opener (wiring, motor, switches, receiver unit and track assembly only)
- NOT COVERED: Clocks, lights or light sockets – Meat probe assemblies – Rotisseries – Microwaves – racks, handles, knobs, rollers, baskets, buckets, shelves or integrated TV/ electronics – Sensi-heat burners – Magnetic induction – Interior lining or glass fronts – Equipment outside of the primary kitchen (excludes garage door opener) – Portable or countertop units – Trim kits – Stoppage/damage caused by foreign material – Doors, locks and key assemblies – Garage doors – Touch pads – Safety sensors – Adjustment – Remote transmitters – Hinges and springs (See also Section E.)
- SUBTERRANEAN TERMITE TREATMENT, PEST & RODENT CONTROL
- COVERED: Treatment for subterranean termite infestation and treatment inside the perimeter of the home for: Roaches – Spiders – Mice – Crickets – Ground beetles – Clover Mites – Millipedes – Centipedes – Pi